Monday, August 29, 2011

Three days to go...

So with three days to go until I leave, I'm getting really nervous. But, it's been a good couple of final days in Fort Worth. My going away party was awesome (thanks for coming guys). I also called my host family again yesterday and was able to speak for half an hour on the phone (IN SPANISH) without completely embarrassing myself. Well, I did forget some common vocabulary words (caliente is really a complicated word that I can be expected to forget a lot, right?). Anyways, I'm getting serious (finally) about packing. The suitcase is out, I'm starting to pile clothes in. 

Here's some info on where I'm going: I'm gonna be living in Sangolquí, Ecuador; a smaller suburb of the capital city of Quito. There are only two seasons in Ecuador: rainy and dry (a relative term because it seems to rain most of the year). The usual highs are around the high 60s and lows in the high 40s or low 50s. In other info, I'll be attending a local high school - Unidad Educativa Dario Figueroa Larco - in Sangolquí. It looks like I'm going to have to wear a uniform, including a coat and tie, to school every day.

Finally, some info on my host family. Miguel (my host dad) is married to Dori (my host mom). I think they're around the same age as my parents. They have three kids - Dario, who's an adult and married, living with his wife and young kid in a different part of the country; Veronica, who's 24 and studying for her master's degree at a university in Quito; and Alexis, who's 14 and attending a secondary school in Sangolquí. 

 Here's some pictures of the school I'm attending in Sangolquí:

1 comment:

  1. Take lots of pictures. It will be a wonderful adventure. You'll probably be surprised how fast your Spanish speaking improves once you're immersed in it.

    ReplyDelete